Awards and Milestones of DFBA Community Enterprises Ltd and its Affiliated Organisations, including Copper Coast Geopark Ltd.
DFBA represents Dunhill, Fenor, Boatstrand and Annestown -4 communities with seperate identities and cultural traditions in the parish of Dunhill-Fenor, County Waterford.
DFBA Community Enterprises Ltd /Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd
- DFBA Community Enterprises Ltd was founded on the 22nd October at a meeting attended by 120 people in Dunhill Parish Hall
- Fenor NS awarded a green flag for keeping their school and village litter free. They have been awarded it annually since 1990.
- In 1990 Stradbally was national category winner in Tidy Towns and represented Ireland in the Entente Floral Competition.
- Anne Valley Festival was launched and run for four years in the area with events in Dunhill, Fenor, Boatstrand and Annestown.
- Dunhill won ‘FAS South – East Community Enterprise Award’ (included Anne Valley Wetlands, Community Markets, Tidy Towns, Anne Valley Festival and other initiatives)
- Fenor won ‘Community Endeavour Award’ for South-East Region
- Copper Coast Tourism was established in Stradbally GAA Centre and attended by representatives of DFBA , Bonmahon and Stradbally Communities
- Bunmahon Heritage Society was founded
- Boatstrand carried out major landscaping project in their area
- Fenor Bog won the national ‘Henry Ford Conservation Award’ and represented Ireland in European Competition in Aachen, Germany
- Fenor Bog won ‘National ESB Conservation Award’
- Fenor Bog won the ‘AIB / Waterford News & Star Community Award’
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd was founded
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises purchased Dunhill Castle, Church and Graveyard.
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd won Munster Final of ‘AIB Better Ireland Award’ and competed in All-Ireland Final in Belfast
- Fenor won the Waterford County Council’s ‘Environmental Award’ for three years in succession 1999-2001
- Bunmahon Heritage Society ‘multiple launch of Heritage Centre, Set of Geographical Pamphlets re copper trail and Geological Garden.
- Stradbally NS won Environmental Green Flag status
- Fenor won the Waterford Co Councils Environmental Award three years in succession 1999-2001.
- President Mary McAleese opened Phase 1 of Enterprise Centre on March
- An Tanaiste Mary Harney TD opened Phase 2 of Enterprise Centre on October
- Fenor Bog won the ‘Gulbenkian Award’ for conservation
- Fenor Bog won ‘Heritage Council Awards’ in 2000, 2001 and 2003
- Fenor won an Ireland – American Fund award
- Dunhill Multi-Education Centre was officially opened
- Fenor won ‘County Community Endeavour Award’
- The Copper Coast was awarded ‘European Geopark status under the auspices of UNESCO.
- Stradbally won the European gold medal in the Entente Floral Competition
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd were national finalists in the Ulster Bank- ‘Sir George Quigley Award’
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd won ‘County Council Best Community Environment Initiative’ (Anne Valley Farmers Constructed Wetlands Network)
- President Mary McAleese visits Stradbally to convey congratulations to them on their Entente Floral award and to officially inaugurate the geological sun dial in the square.
- DFBA Community Enterprises Ltd were awarded the ‘Connected Communities Project.
- Knockmahon School were prize winners in the ESB Environmental Award for the second year in succession.
- Dunhill Cuisine Ltd was opened in the Dunhill Ecopark
- Copper Coast Geopark Ltd a community based company limited by guarantee, with charitable status was established. The board of directors included representatives of Waterford Co Council, Geological Survey of Ireland, UCC, Mining Heritage Trust of Ireland and Copper Coast Tourism Ltd
- Copper Coast Geopark is the only geopark managed by a voluntary community board of directors and it is also the smallest
- Gleann Ealach Housing Association Dunhill was registered with Irish Council for Social Housing
- Copper Coast Geopark Ltd achieved €1.7m Interreg funding
- Copper Coast Geopark was twinned with Chinese partner and given UNESCO Global Geopark recognition
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd and Dunhill GAA in a joint venture completed Cois Cille a 40 unit Affordable Housing Scheme in Dunhill Village
- Dunhill Multi-Education Centre established a Memorandum of Understanding with University of Wisconsin Stout re Outreach Centre
- Dunhill Multi-Education established a Memorandum of Understanding with University College Cork re Outreach Centre.
- Fenor Bog was designated a National Nature Reserve.
- A circular board walk was completed in Fenor Bog
- Fenor won a national award for conservation award in the National Tidy Towns Competition
- Copper Coast (Bunmahon) was twinned with Gams (Austria) and Strohn (Germany)
- DFBA Community Enterprises Ltd partnered organizations in France, Spain and Portugal in a Interreg 3C Project ‘Ways of the Bays’.
- Stradbally won national award in ‘Race against Waste’ in 2004/2005
- Seafield and Knockmahon National Schools were awarded Environmental Green Flags
- Seafield NS won an ESB Environmental Award
- Dunhill Anne Valley Constructed Wetlands were awarded Life 3C funding in partnership with Welsh organisation.
- DFBA Community Enterprises Ltd won the ‘All-Ireland Pride of Place Competition’ (in their population category) sponsored under the North-South Council established by the Good Friday Agreement
- The ‘Boatstrand Sea Safety Centre Project’ was completed and funded through by a number of voluntary fund raising ventures
- Twenty- five adult students from the Dunhill Multi-Education Centre graduated with a Diploma in Social Studies from University College Cork (run over a two year period)
- The conservation work on the Tankardstown mines engine houses was completed
- Stradbally won a silver medal in the National Tidy Towns Competition
- Exchange visits were completed between Bunmahon, Gams and Strohn including a group of school children from Strohn.
- Fenor won an National Heritage Award in the National Tidy Towns Competition
- Copper Coast Geopark Ltd won ‘Waterford Chamber of Commerce Tourism Achievement Award’
- Copper Coast Geopark Ltd installed a series of tables and seats by Twohig brothers in the local communities of Fenor, Annestown, Dunhill, Boatstrand, Bunmahon and Stradbally.
- The Women’s Initiative Group from Copper Coast Geopark visited their counterparts in Lesvos Petrified Forest Geopark in Greece 1-5th March.
- Copper Coast representatives attended an Education Workshop in Marble Arch Caves in Co Fermanagh 11-12th April.
- Pupils from Gams (Eisenwurzun Geopark Austria) visited the Copper Coast from 2-8th May
- Copper Coast supported by Interreg funding commissioned the installation of a path through geological time in the geological garden in Bunmahon and a ‘Fire and Water’ sculpture at Boatstrand.
- Copper Coast were awarded a Chamber of Commerce Tourism Achievement Award.
- Bunmahon were awarded a twelfth successive European Blue Flag Award.
- Copper Coast completed the training local people as tourism guides
- Fenor Bog were awarded a Heritage Council biodiversity grant
- Copper Coast hosted a seaweed seminar and seafood banquet on 7th October
- University of Wisconsin Stout run a series of outreach modules in Dunhill Education Centre on Disability Awareness and associated subjects.
- Des Cowman Copper Coast launched his book ‘The Making and Breaking of Mining Community 1825-1875 and was interviewed on RTE Nationwide in March.
- The ‘Anne Valley Run’ – a five mile run in the Anne Valley was founded by two Dunhill based women as an annual fund raising event for charities
- Boatstrand Sea Safety Centre won the overall award in the ‘County Community and Voluntary Awards Competition 2007’
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises funded a Rural Research and Innovation Cell employing four people to complete specific research projects and the development of business plans for future expansion purposes
- RTE films on the Copper Coast for the Eco-Eye Programme on 10th September
- Copper Coast calendar produced for sale
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd open Equality and Diversity Unit and ran a very successful programme for people for disabilities supported by FAS funding.
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd launch the Newfoundland Emigrant Trail for Co Waterford and Southeast at an Ireland – Newfoundland Economic Conference in Dunhill Education Centre.
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd establish a ‘Rural Research and Innovation Cell’ employing 4 researchers to explore a range of development possibilities and business plans to complete a master plan for Dunhill Ecopark (11.5 acres)
- Dunhill Multi- Education wins Community Award
- Installation of interpretation panels along the coast at Fenor, Annestown, Dunhill, Boatstrand, Bunmahon and Stradbally
- Copper Coast hosts a Heritage Week from 25th August to 2nd September.
- Open University visits the Copper Coast in June
- Copper Coast publishes ‘The Miners Way’and ‘Geology of Ballydwane’ on 18th July and six new walking cards on 26th July.
- Boatstrand and Fenor were winners in their respective categories in the County Waterford Community & Voluntary Awards Competition.
- Copper Coast Geopark attended the first meeting of the Geoparks Ireland Forum in Geological Survey of Ireland in Dublin.
- Kate Hyde, Henparty.com was successful in gaining investment and mentoring through participation in the ‘National RTE ‘Dragons Den Competition’
- Copper Coast purchased an old derelict Church of Ireland in Bonmahon for the purpose of developing it into a Geopark Visitors Centre
- RTE Programme EcoEye featured Copper Coast Geopark
- Copper Coast Geopark participated in the International Geopark Communication weekend with the support of South Eastern Amateur Radio Club based in Tankarstown
- First annual flower show held at Monksland Centre Knockmahon on 4th / 5th August
- Copper Coast attend second annual meeting of Geoparks Ireland Forum at Marble Arch Caves, Fermanagh on 28th October.
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd complete business plans on Copper Coast Ecolodge ,Inventors Village, Ecolution and Grass Roots Tourism for Dunhill Ecopark.
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd- Five employees (DREL manager and four researchers involved with Rural Research & Innovation Cell) completed a Graduate Diploma in Enterprise sponsored by Enterprise Ireland and delivered by Waterford Institute of Technology.
- Fenor won an Environmental Award in the National Tidy Towns Competition
- A Christmas Fair was held in the Monksland Centre in Knockmahon
- Copper Coast attended meetings in Beigua Geopark Italy, a meeting of European Geopark network representatives in Bohemian Paradise Geopark in Czech Republic in March, an international conference on geoparks in Osnabruck, Germany 22-26th June and a Newry Conference at which Dr Mike Sweeney gave a presentation in July.
- Elaine Sarah Comerford was successful in gaining investment and mentoring support through participating in the ‘National RTE ‘Dragons Den Competition’ for her jewellery company ‘Buttons’
- Full planning application for ‘Gleann Ealach Association Housing for the Elderly Scheme’ at Ballyphilip Dunhill was granted by Waterford Co Council.
- Fenor Play Park won both sectional and overall awards in the ‘County Community and Voluntary Awards Competition 2010’
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises in partnership with Waterford County Council hosted a successful ‘National Jobs Conference’ in the Education Centre attended by 100 delegates with Eamonn O’Cuiv T.D. Minister for Rural Community and Gaeltacht Affairs giving the main address.
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd was awarded ‘Interreg funding for their ‘ACTION’ Project which is aimed at developing social enterprise in County Waterford
- Ecopark company ‘Noel Phelan Furniture Design won the ‘Excellence in Business Awards’ for 2010.
- Boatstrand won ‘An Taisce, Clean Coast Award’ in 2010
- The German ambassador visited the Copper Coast Geopark
- A green flag beach was awarded to both Annestown and Boatstrand beaches
- A blue flag beach was awarded to Bonmahon
- Knockmahon and Seafield National Schools won green flag awards
- Bonmahon won Super Valu’s €30,000 Community Improvement Bursary for their proposal to build a multi –purpose sports court in the village
- Dunhill was selected to participate in a ‘Leader Inter Territorial Project’ as one of six Waterford communities to partner with communities in county Antrim on complementary pilot development projects
- Irish Artisan Beverages won the ‘Bridgestone ‘Best in Ireland Award’ for their Dunhill Castle Sparkling Spirit‘
- Ecopark company ‘Tastefully Yours’ won the ‘Bridgestone ‘Best in Ireland Award’ for their Gourmet Chutneys, Relishes and Pickles products
- Dunhill Cuisine, Dunhill Ecopark and Village featured in a Super Valu advertisement run on RTE 1 and 2
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd was awarded Interreg funding for their ‘HERCULES’ Project which involves the collation of information and the development of tourism products around ‘Sense of Place’ in Co. Waterford
- Copper Coast Geopark acquired Waterford’s first seismometer for educational purposes for their Monksland Centre in Bonmahon
- Planning permission to build an extension to phase 1 of the enterprise centre was granted. An application for Leader funding to build it was turned down. (it was to accommodate a micro-brewery and artisan bakery with 7 additional jobs in May 2011)
- An Alternative Farm Skills Programme funded by FAS was completed in October 2011. Fifteen students are graduating with a FETAC Level 5 Certificate
- Copper Coast Geopark completed a study of the Comeragh Mountains with the view to extending the geopark into the heart of Co. Waterford
- Copper Coast Geopark won two Interreg funding projects-“Atlanterra ” with Irish, French and Welsh partners on the historical interaction between mining communities and Interreg ‘Green Metal’ with Portuguese, Welsh and Spanish partners.
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd in partnership with Waterford Co. Council hosted a National Jobs Conference in the Dunhill Education Centre on 26th August attended by 110 delegates including Minister for Environment, Community and Local Government, Phil Hogan TD
- An Interreg ‘HERCULES’ project relating to ‘Sense of Place’ started on Wednesday 7th September with three part-time staff
- Following a three day audit by German geologist Henning Zellmer in August 2011, Copper Coast Geopark retained its EU, UNESCO geopark status for a further four years
- The Burren / Cliffs of Moher were awarded geopark status in 2011. There are now two geoparks in Republic of Ireland and one in Northern Ireland– (Marble Arch Caves in Co. Fermanagh)
- Audrea Hassett ‘Tastefully Yours’ won the ‘Women in Business Award in the category ‘Excellence in Food’ in South East Region
- On 17th November in Portlaoise DREL with Carbery Enterprise Group organized a meeting to establish ‘Communities Creating Jobs’ which is a national voluntary community enterprise organisation committed to creating jobs through sharing resources including replicable projects, solutions, ideas, funding sources and site visits.
- Dunhill Multi-Education Centre won the County Waterford Community & Voluntary Award for Social Enterprise in 2011
- On Friday 9th December the Canadian Ambassador to Ireland Mr Loyola Hearn visited Dunhill Ecopark to meet with artisan food producers and representatives of the five county councils in the southeast to discuss developing trade links with Canada.
- Tastefully Yours retained their ‘Best in Ireland’ Bridgestone Award’ with a high commendation
- Irish Artisan Beverages retained their ‘Best in Ireland’ Bridgestone Award
- Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd ‘ACTION’ Interreg Project partnered with Dublin City University to run a very successful conference in Kilkenny in February. The conference theme was ‘Winning in Tendering’. It was attended by eighty people representing local government bodies and social enterprise and private enterprises interested in the public tendering process.
- DREL hosted a final seminar for ACTION project on 22nd June 2012 (100 in attendance)
- Healy’s of Waterford won their first Bridgestone Award in September
- On 30th August DREL hosted an opening of the Newfoundland ‘Commemorative Trees Project’ in the village wetlands/nature park site. Over 100 attended including the Canadian Ambassador Loyola Hearn (a Newfoundlander with father’s people from Carrick–on-Suir and mothers people ‘Sheehan’ from Callan) Visitors for ‘Festival of the Sea’ from Newfoundland also attended.
- DREL hosted a Heritage and Resource Conference on ‘The Value of Wetlands’ on Thursday 27th September ( 80 in attendance)
- DREL hosted 3rd National Jobs Conference on Monday 15th October 2012 (70 in attendance) The conference theme was ‘Reaping the Benefits’ Rural Communities Creating Sustainable Jobs.
- DREL presented its ‘Communities Creating Jobs’ programme for economic self reliance (10 jobs per community and 20,000 jobs countrywide by December 2016) to GAA Central Council in Croke Park in early October. The proposal received a great reception from the attendance. President Liam O’Neill committed to establishing a ‘Jobs Committee’ to pilot the programme in 2013.
- Elda Venison Ltd featured in Sunday Times Business Section in November.
- Ministers Phil Hogan, Jimmy Deenihan, Fergus O’Dowd, Shane McEntee, Ciaran Cannon and Sean Sherlock visited Dunhill in 2012.
- Tastefully Yours won its 3rd ‘Bridgestone Award’ in November
- Senan Cooke secretary DFBA Community Enterprises Ltd / Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd was appointed to the ‘Commission for the Economic Development of Rural Areas’ by Ministers Phil Hogan, Environment, Community and Local Government and Simon Coveney Agriculture, Food and Marine in November.
DFBA Community Enterprises Ltd /Dunhill Rural Enterprises Ltd